one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

How to stop flaming and just enjoy a blog

Between digg and the blogs I write for, I've been seeing a lot of negativity out there. This isn't new on the internet. Remember, one of the first things Tim Berners-Lee did while making the WWW protocols was make a website condemning the "silent birth" method in Scientology. See, that was a joke folks. Maybe not obvious to everyone, but still, it's a joke.

Anyway, blogs are not magazines. Not really. They are insta-pubs. We see stuff, we write about it. OK, it's not always new new new. So what? I happened to see the iPod in the Scary movie 4 trailer for the 1st time the other night, blogged about it, people got pissed because it was old news. To whom? It was new to me, and at the least an interesting topic of discussion that hadn't been raised on the blog.

Point is, blogs are about discussion, having fun, sharing ideas, maybe doing something really cool once in a while (I'm thinking political blogs and whatnot). They are fast, furious, and held together by a group of passionate writers. Some of whom can actually write (man how I envy them).

So remember, the next time you're about to hit that Submit button to correct me on grammar that you have got wrong yourself, is it really necessary? Wouldn't it be more fun to remind yourself it's just a blog, and you should really just relax?

On Mystery Science Blog 3000... see, another inside joke. For reference, please go download and watch an episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000." Even if you know what I'm talking about. It's fun.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!