one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Thursday, June 22, 2006

blogging is messy

Yesterday there was a minor event on TUAW. You can read about it here, or go back to the Procrastinatr post and see how it began.

Point is, David made a mistake. It happens every day. Someone once scolded me for a grammar error I did NOT make. I sent him an email, and he responded with much enthusiasm... heh. Well, poopie happens. When my wife waited tables, they had a sign in the back of the restaurant: "We're serving food, not saving lives." Word.

My bigger picture point: he fixed the mistake. See, in main stream media, a "fix" could take days or weeks. In the paper, it's buried inside a section-- who is going to see that? Maybe the guy who corrected my (admittedly) bad grammar (except that time I didn't make a mistake, go figure).

My point: mistake, but corrected within hours, not days (like MSM)

Now I remember back when OJ was speeding down the highways of LA, then-living Peter Jennings supposedly had a "witness" who had a bead on Simpson in the back of the car. Guess what? It was a trick.

Remember the time Dan Rather used fake docs to "nail" Bush? Good times.

Or how about the one where NBC will never again air Rob Smigel's brilliant "Media-opoly" episode of "TV Funhouse."

Yes, there are a great many journalistic atrocities out there. I have a feeling one blogger won't commit the same one twice ;-)

PS- I had another example of how blogging gets messy, is fast, real, dangerous, and sometimes stupid... But after listening to the chaos of the "Vloggercon" TWiT epi, I can't remember it...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!