one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Monday, November 24, 2008

What's old is new again

Finally finished reading "Cartoon Guide to Computer Science," which is actually a great read. It goes into detail on logic gates, binary calculations and the basics of what a computer does to manage memory and process instructions. Of course, this is the foundation. I knew a lot of that stuff, but seeing it again hammers home what you wind up doing in higher languages -- like allocating memory!

In particular, on the iPhone, the concepts of computing from 20 years ago are somewhat relevant again. Lower-powered CPU's and tight memory make designing a challenge.

I also noticed Apple recommends apps be pretty close to single-purpose. My argument is that yes, that's a good idea, but there's a way to pack functionality into an app that doesn't take up a huge footprint AND provides an intuitive, almost magical experience. I'm all about the magic.

So now I'm diving into an antiquated book on Obj-C, plus going back to monkey with Unity. I feel I'm very close to a breakthrough in Unity, which would allow me to create my first app... But Xcode is so darn good I'm bouncing between Idea A and B... I need a clone! Or, an instance of myself...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!