one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Monday, October 04, 2010

Lonely

I've spent the better part of the past 11 years distancing myself from anyone I ever knew. Holing myself up with my then-wife and retreating from society. I was never good at keeping in touch with people.

There's some old proverb about a rich man being rich in money but poor in friends and a poor man who is rich in friends having more in his life... but study after study has shown that you grow older and stay happier if you have a good network of friends.

I'm pretty lucky. I do have friends. Some people have far fewer. But in my hour of darkness the list of people I can call to is quite short. They all have lives now. It's not like when we were in our 20's and we didn't worry so much about paychecks and feeding our kids...

Now here I am watching Battlestar Galactica. The episode called "Tigh me up, Tigh me down" and part of it is about friendship. And mistakes. But the whole series was about this. I'm re-watching the series because it is a reminder of the choices we make in life. The ones that have an impact beyond our own little lives.

This has all happened before...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!