one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

What's a superpixel?

Well, you could just google for superpixel. When I came up with the name back in 1998 I did a search through Yahoo! and found out that superpixels are like regular pixels, only super.

That's a half-joke.

To me, superpixel was about the freedom of digital technology to push your message/content/creations out into the world as efficiently as possible. Adobe used to push the paperless office, I was pushing the officeless office... With ONE desktop computer you could publish just about any medium. MIT has a whole course designed around "build anything" where grad students use all manner of robotic sculptors, carvers, and plastic vats using X-Rays to create, well, anything.

That's the dream.

In the meanwhile I'm trademarking superpixel for a very specific purpose. There have been a couple of notable copycats, one using the .mac account name (wish I'd thought of that), and two offshore: China and Netherlands. I don't see a lot of conflict there. While at one time I wanted to do nothing but animation and 3d work, I've grown a little beyond that (not to diminish it in the least). Also, I'm no good at writing software. I've tried. So the .mac/China connection can go at that.

More later...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!