one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Friday, January 05, 2007

Missed out on Middle School? Visit digg

I think the title says it all. I have noticed a serious degradation in the quality (but certainly not quantity) of the massmind over on digg.com. Comments have reached an all-time low in terms of juvenile behavior, reminiscent of the High Troll Days of Slashdot. Maybe it's a measure of success, maybe digg'ers wear their immaturity as a badge of honor, I dunno... But it's just a little sad IMHO. Also makes it quite distracting, and possibly a limiting factor in their continued growth. As they reach peak traffic, and mature into a known entity to the "average" person, the snarky stupid stuff is going to be a major turnoff.

You know, it isn't even snarky. A lot of the comments I'm seeing are devoid of cleverness, and you have to be clever to be snarky.

Plus, you're seeing a lot of dupes, old stuff, splogs, etc. Hm, wonder if digg needs an editorial layer? ;-)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!