one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Monday, February 04, 2008

Passing the "spouse test"

I usually stop by Flickr just before I go to bed. Perhaps because I'm a visual learner, or perhaps because I like to see the slices of life my friends and acquaintances leave lying around, but it calms me. Tonight I saw a photo of a Kindle from Scott.

When the Kindle arrived late last year to much ado I just couldn't get excited. My main beef remains: cost. But who am I to complain about cost? Hell, I'm a Mac-using Apple-breathing unabashed fanboy par excellence (even if I can't afford the latest gear, I do lust after it). It only makes sense that the Kindle will come down in cost. So I can't exactly pooh-pooh the darn thing on that one criteria.

In fact, I want the Kindle to succeed, but my fear, shared by many sharp gadget-loving folk, is that the features are too esoteric for the mass market. My wife, albeit quite above average, is such a consumer. But when I extolled the virtues of the Kindle, cleverly avoiding the issue of cost, she was intrigued.

For example, I explained the e-ink contrast ratio. I described the cellular modem. I detailed how books, magazines, and even websites can be loaded onto the thing... And now she's really intrigued. The Kindle passed what I consider to be a foolproof mass market test: my wife.

So Amazon, you have just a few months to knock about 50% of the cost off that damn thing before we'll even consider it. Just so you know.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!