one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Ultimate Mashup in the Sky with Diamonds

Just finished reading ReadWriteWeb analysis of the Google App Engine and I immediately thought of Apple. The companies are BFF's now, which makes me question everything the Big G does and how it might fit/fight a future Apple directive.

Google App Engine is a huge thing, potentially. Huge for Apple too. Imagine integration with iPhone. Let's face it, while installed apps will shortly take over, cloud-based apps or cloud-aware apps on iPhone are the future of computing. Among one of the potential opportunities: finally the ability to sync everything. That's a lot of moving parts, but something we're working on already, right?

Perhaps I'm being optimistic. But I can see a lot of future B2B action between Google and Apple. The more the two brands co-mingle, the greater they become. And ultimately you need a lot of inertia to displace Microsoft in the business space. While I love FileMaker to death, I have to wonder what a "real" data system via Google could do with an OS X front-end that works similarly (but better) to Access. Would that be the "all in" needed to make the iWork suite compete?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!