one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Very important stuff

This article on how the web is rewiring our brains over at Wired (heh) is very important stuff. I've suspected as much, but now I'm starting to see how my own tendencies towards ADD have been exacerbated by the unstructured days, the constant influx of incoming Cylons (aka news items) and the inherent addled mess of cognitive cohesion that is the web...

Bottom line? Over the past 6 months I've already come a long ways to mitigating changes/damage to my brain. Eating better, exercising, yoga and meditation all help. Also, I quit using inbox counters, growl alerts for chats and new mail, etc. The more focus time, the better. And so far it has been working pretty well. Unfortunately I cannot further isolate myself from distractions at home, but I'm working on that as well. It's a long game. One I plan to win.

My family has a medical history of forgetfulness and inattentiveness. I want to buck that trend going forward. Of course, my side projects demand a lot of focus time, so that helps as well. Part of being a well-rounded human!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!