one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Monday, January 21, 2013

"Fuck you, your memories and your daughter" -- Instagram's response to a father's request for his daughter's images

I'd hate to think what would happen were my daughter to die and I asked for this, but here's Instagram's robo-response when I asked to have the pics my daughter took and uploaded to Instagram (she can't hold hundreds of photos on her iPod touch because it is only 8 GB).

Note that they won't even respond if they find your account is in violation. All your data is just gone.

There is ZERO recourse here. Instagram will no doubt delete all of her data, even if I were to try to challenge this in court (as her father, do I not get a say?).

So a year of journaling, a year of me missing events, but I could see on Instagram, are about to be deleted. No judge, no jury, no appeal.

Just a fuck you. Fuck you right back, Instagram. I'm done with the service and will soon be deleting everything I've ever added. Going back to Flickr.

Update: Account deleted.


INSTAGRAM
JAN 21, 2013  |  06:51PM UTC
We have received your request. Note: if we are able to locate an account that was removed for violating our Terms of Service or Community Guidelines we will not respond.

User Deletion

If your Instagram account was deleted utilizing the secure Account Removal page there is no way to restore your account. You can create a new account with the email address formerly associated with your deleted account, but you will not be able to utilize the same username.

We suggest attempting to create a new account with the same email address in order to determine if your account was removed through the Account Removal page, which would have required knowledge of your password. We cannot restore your account, even if your account deletion was not authorized, and suggest you use a private and secure password going forward.

Instagram Disabled

If you have violated our Community Guidelines or Terms of Use on any account that you own your account is subject to removal and your access to Instagram may be revoked without warning. There are no exceptions to this policy.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!