one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Taking the low road


Phallus impudicus
Originally uploaded by Pethan.
Valleywag has this post that I caught via digg:
Achieving Blog Nirvana

And in predictable Gawker Media form, the advice for absolute perfection and audience-pleasing posting? A magic combo of revenge, perversity, sex and Schadenfreude. Pretty much all the baser levels of discourse, IMHO.

I'm not criticizing Valleywag or Gawker, really. It's a sad commentary on our society. I mean, let's face it, TMZ is making mint on just this exact formula (and more power to them :)

But it's a little depressing when Valleywag is right, for a plethora of reasons I won't go into now ;)

So I leave this with one of my fave Oscar Wilde quotes:
“The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything. Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this, and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands.”

Think about this the next time you're reading comments on digg or perusing the muckitymuck of celeb blogs (of which I will admit to partake occassionaly).

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!