one man's journey into creating gibblybits

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fucking idiots



So the geniuses at Pepcom... where do I start? Just look at their website. Currently it shows a picture of a bull's asshole, a cowboy thrown off said bull. That's like the perfect metaphor for this company. 12 years they say they've been putting on "Digital Experience" during CES. I think they've had a good run. At this point, they should quit and move on. As near as I can tell they have no other purpose in life but this cash cow. I mean, here's their year in summary.

Yes, this is a real business. Now, granted, this is an old business model. This is a crazy dumb business to be in, too. One thing I've learned being at CES for a couple of years now is that there are way too many publishers of crap out there. Pepcom likes to trumpet "over 1000 press will see you!" but let's bear in mind that many of these "press" are either antiques in print form from a bygone era or horribly designed hobbyist sites that do zero research and regurgitate press releases.

Worst of all, they serve a bunch of food and booze at these things. I have seen so many "traditional journalists" hogging the food and booze, it makes me sad. But oh hell on a fucking stick, get out of the way for that guy from CBS! Sure, he has no clue was SSH is, or even 3D printing, but THIS IS CBS YOU EDUCATED JACKASS!

Anyway, Pepcom really pissed me off by being super strict about RSVP'ing, then suddenly allowing some people in, but then NOT allowing Leo Laporte. And (worse, IMHO), deleting their Twitter account and deleting Facebook comments because Leo's fans starting complaining. Is this what vendors are paying for? A company who has no clue how to do PR? A company that gives such a shit about the media that they won't allow Leo in?

These people are idiots. And my tolerance of financially successful idiots has drawn to a null amount. There's a strong impetus in me to crush these morons. How hard would it be? Here's what they do:
1. Rent a space
2. Sell tables
3. Invite the media

Real fucking hard. Step 4 must be profit, because these fools actually have a staff. If I have my way, they won't have that staff for long.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This blog is the blowhole of me, and should not represent the blowhole of any other whale, living, dead or publicly traded on the stock market. Enjoy!